Coatham

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Historical and geographical information

 

 

 

  

Home Page

The Farndale Directory

Farndale Themes

Farndale History

Particular branches of the family tree

Other Information

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB

Links

 

The Farndales of Coatham

 

The Coatham Line are the descendants of Matthew Farndale (1828 to 1905) (FAR00297) who married Ann Readman and was an gricultural labourer and then Foreman at East Coatham - Matthew lived with John (FAR00217) as a servant at age 12.

Many of his descendants are associated with Coatham including as dressmaker, laundress, labourer, pipe layer, and estate land drainer.

(John) Richard Farndale (1897 to 1917) FAR00681) of Coatham, joined as a private, the Yorkshire Regiment and Green Howards, and died of pneumonia on Western Front, WW1.

George William Farndale (born 1890) (FAR00643) emigrated from Coatham to USA and established the American 2 Line.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Coatham

 

Coatham is a place in the borough of Redcar and Cleveland and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England and is now a district of Redcar.

 

History

 

Coatham began as a market village in the 14th century to the smaller adjacent fishing port of Redcar but as their populations grew from the 1850s, the dividing space narrowed. Though Coatham is now only a mile-wide district in the town of Redcar, the need for definition was strong enough to warrant the western boundary being marked by a fence which ran the length of West Dyke Road and West Terrace. Coatham comprises the remaining coastal land north of the railway line from West Dyke Road to Warrenby in the west.

 

Between 1875 and 1898, Coatham had a leisure pier. It was intended to extend 2,000 feet (610 m) into the sea, but damage in the building stage from shipping and storms curtailed the distance to 1,800 feet (550 m). In October 1898, the pier was struck by the 757 tonnes (834 tons) Finnish freighter Birger. The ship had developed trouble during a storm in the North Sea and despite passing GrimsbyScarborough and Whitby, she carried for South Shields. During a ferocious storm she crashed onto the rocks at Coatham and wrecked a 60 feet (18 m) section of the pier in the middle. Only two members of her crew of 15 were rescued; the pier collapsed a year later.

 

The present-day Redcar & Cleveland College was a grammar school before 1975.

 

The majority of modern Coatham is Victorian housing, most notably at its northern tip by the Coatham Hotel built in 1860. A small boating lake, leisure centre, arcade complex and caravan park now occupies the remainder of Coatham's coast. To the east, the Tees Valley Wildlife Trust's Coatham Marsh Nature Reserve hosts 54 hectares (130 acres) of ancient Marsh and grassland.

 

Coatham Hotel

 

Coatham Marsh

 

 


 

Since the mid-1990s political debate has been generated amongst Coatham's five thousand residents as to the future of the last undeveloped section of Coatham's coastal land known as Coatham Common/Coatham Enclosure - for the last 25 years used as a golf course and local recreation area. Residents are objecting at losing open space to the council's proposed housing and leisure development planned to revive the tourist industry. The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom announced on 3 March 2010 that Redcar Council must register the land as a Village Green.

 

Coatham is the town where Jane Gardam, twice winner of the Whitbread Prize, was brought up and where some of her novels are set.

 

 

COATHAM, or EAST COATHAM, is a civil parish and seaside-place adjoining Redcar, with a station of that name on the Saltburn and Darlington branch of the North Eastern railway, and is near the mouth of the Tees, and 8 miles east from Middlesbrough, but was ecclesiastically separated from Kirkleatham in 1860; it is in the Cleveland division of the Riding, petty sessional division of Langbaurgh East, union of Guisborough, county court district and rural deanery of Middlesbrough, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York, and since 1899 it has been governed by the Redcar Urban District Council, formed under the provisions of the “Local Government Act, 1894” (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73). Coatham was created a civil parish, from Kirkleatham, by Local Government Board Order, No. 38,693, dated April 1, 1899. Coatham was originally nothing but a small fishing hamlet, but there are now many well-built houses which command extensive views of Yearby Bank, Eston Nab and the Cleveland Hills, and the sands permit of good and safe bathing. The town is lighted with gas by the Redcar, Coatham, Marske and Saltburn Gas Company. Christ Church, founded and endowed by Mrs. Teresa Newcomen, of Kirkleatham Hall, and consecrated in August, 1854, is a building of sandstone, with Bath stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a western tower with spire containing one bell: all the windows are stained: the pulpit, font and reredos are of Caen stone: a new chancel screen with gates was erected by subscription in 1892: there are 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1854. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, with residence, in the gift of Gleadowe H. T. Newcomen esq. and held since 1911 by the Rev. Harold Bentley Bentley-Smith B.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge: a vicarage house was erected in 1888 near the church. The Catholics at present hold services in the school room in Lobster road. Here is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, built in 1869, and a Friends’ meeting house. The Central Hall, built by the North Eastern Railway Co. in 1846 for a station, but now used for entertainments and public meetings, will hold 1,000 persons. Station Road Hall is now used as a chapel by the Primitive Methodists. The Board of Trade have a Rocket Life saving Apparatus here, and there is also a Coast Guard station. The Convalescent Home, established in 1861, is for the reception of 50 respectable persons recovering from sickness and requiring change of air and sea-bathing: the original site was acquired, and the first portion of the Home erected and furnished, at a cost of upwards of £4,500, by the late Rev. John Postlethwaite; an additional wing was added in 1869, and the Home now holds 164 patients, who are received from all parts of England, upon an order from a subscriber, which entitles the holder to medical attendance and board for one month, or longer, should the medical officer deem it necessary: the nursing of the patients is attended to by the Sisters of the Home of the Good Samaritan: the chapel, designed by the late Mr. J. E. Street B.A. and opened in 1881, consists of apsidal chancel and nave: there are seven stained windows, and sittings for 200 persons. There is a good cricket ground on Coatham road, and golf links of 18 holes. The trustees of the Kirkleatham Settled Estate are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The population of Coatham in 1881 was 3,898, in 1901, 4,490, and in 1911 was 4,744 in the civil and 4,683 in the ecclesiastical parish; area, 1,483 acres of land, 29 of inland water and 1,218 of foreshore; rateable value, £34,196.

 

Schools

 

Grammar, opened August 1st, 1869; this school, removed here from Kirkleatham, was founded in 1700 by Sir William Turner kt. reconstituted by a decree of the High Court of Chancery in 1855, & again reconstituted by the Charity Commissioners for Endowed schools, & is now administered as a secondary school, under a scheme dated June 26, 1884; the buildings are in the Late Decorated style & there are now (1913) about 100 boys, including 9 boarders; the income from the endowment is £300 a year; attached to the school are 8 entrance scholarships, & a leaving grant of from £20 to £40. Arthur Prvce M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, headmaster.

 

Public Elementary schools

 

Coatham Road (mixed), erected in 1866 by the late Mrs. Teresa Newcomen, for 300 children; average attendance, 242.

 

Warrenby (mixed), erected in 1881, for 244 children; average attendance, 180 children.

 

West Dyke (mixed & infants), erected in 1908, at a cost of £10,000, for 500 boys & girls & 250 infants; average attendance, 400 boys & girls & 200 infants.

Catholic, built in 1896, for 128 children; average attendance, 91