Liverton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Historical and geographical information

 

 

 

  

Home Page

The Farndale Directory

Farndale Themes

Farndale History

Particular branches of the family tree

Other Information

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB

Links

 

 The Farndales of Liverton

 

The Liverton 1 Line were the descendants of Rychards ffarnedayle (FAR00075) (born 3 February 1604). Rychards moved his family to Liverton from Skelton

 

The Liverton 2 Line were the descendants of Nicholas Farndale (FAR00082)(6 July 1634 to 28 February 1693/4). A Liverton Family, Nicholas had four children from his first marriage and two from his second.

 

 

Liverton is a village in the borough of Redcar and Cleveland and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England.

Liverton Village is named in the doomsday book and was previously named Liureton, it is a rural village that has by-enlarge retained its heritage as a farming community and in 1978 became protected by a conservation order. In 2011 an Area Appraisal was performed.

The village is surrounded by a field system with Station Road B1366 running through the middle. The village can date its roots back to the 12th century, with evidence of this seen from the font, arch and doorway of St Michaels church. There is further evidence of a medieval settlement in area.

It is located 140 meters above sea level and is located on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors

 

 

Liverton Village was named in the doomsday book and previously went by the name of Liureton.

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Liverton like this:

 

LIVERTON, a township-chapelry in Easington parish, N. R Yorkshire; 6 miles E of Guisbrough town and r. station. Post town, Redcar. Acres, 2,400. Real property, 1,216. Pop., 186. Houses, 38. The manor belongs to Viscount Downe. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Easington, in the diocese of York. The church is partly Norman.

 

John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales

 

 

The village primarily consists of farm land and cottages, with a moorland church, village hall and local inn. The village lies within the boundary of a conservation area and includes many Listed Buildings, most of which date back to the 18th century.

Within the village are many historic structures, most of which are constructed from local sandstone blocks with a herringbone finish. Below are some of the listed buildings:

 

Parish Church of St Michaels - dating back to the 12th century, List Entry Number 1139676 

Church House Farm

Tickhill House Farm and Cottages (Middle House and Haygate Cottage) - dating back to 1720, List Entry Number 1136629 

Shrubberies Cottage and Farm - dating back to 1800, list Entry Number 1139678 

 

Church

St Michaels Church

 

The church was built in the 12th century, with evidence of this seen from the font, arch and doorway. Alterations over the years have kept the church in good state and retained the original structure. The church was restored at the beginning of the 20th century and the plaster was removed from the Chancel arch,[7] the arch can still be seen today.

 

Village Hall

 

The village hall was previously owned by Lord Downe, as were many of the local farms and land. This building was converted from a school into a village hall and in now run by a village committee.

 

Local Inn

The Waterwheel Inn

 

There is a village Inn called The Waterwheel Inn. Located on the edge of the village, the pub reopened in 1962 and is a traditional building with beams on show and built from sandstone