Stokesley

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Historical and geographical information

 

 

 

  

Home Page

The Farndale Directory

Farndale Themes

Farndale History

Particular branches of the family tree

Other Information

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB

Links

 

The Farndales of Stokesley:

 

Henry Farndale (FAR00229)

 

William Farndale (FAR00283)

 

Richard Farndale (FAR00288)

 

William Farndale (FAR00309)

 

Jane Farndale (FAR00322)

 

Anne Farndale (FAR00331)

 

Jane Farndale (FAR00332)

 

Mary Elizabeth Farndale (FAR00436)

 

Annie Paver Farndale (FAR00519)

 

Margaret Ann Farndale (FAR00541)

 

Emily Farndale (FAR00547)

 

Mary Farndale (FAR00558)

 

William Henry Farndale (FAR00563)

 

Eva Elizabeth Farndale (FAR00569)

 

John Joseph Farndale (FAR00581)

 

William Barnes Farndale (FAR00621)

 

William Farndale (FAR00639)

 

Thomas Farndale (FAR00641)

 

William Farndale (FAR00651)

 

Lily Farndale (FAR00718)

 

William Farndale (FAR00744)

 

Hilda Farndale (FAR00756)

 

 

 

 

Stokesley is a small market town and civil parish in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England. Historically part of the North Riding of Yorkshire, it lies on the River Leven. Stokesley is located about two miles south of the boundary of the borough of Middlesbrough and ten miles south of Middlesbrough town centre. Stokesley is located between Middlesbrough, Guisborough and Northallerton, in a farming area. Local attractions for visitors include nearby Great Ayton, as well as Captain Cook's monument and Roseberry Topping, both of which lie within the North York Moors National Park.

 

Stokesley was first granted a charter to hold fairs in 1223 by Henry III. The Pack Horse Bridge, crossing the River Leven from the riverside walk, dates from the 17th century. Renowned for its large range of building types, the latter construction within Stokesley of sundry fine Georgian architecture is thought to have contributed much to its later character. Other prominent historical features around the town include the Mill Wheel, thought to represent the site of a mill recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. Domesday also contained the first written record of "a church and priest" in Stokesley. The present Church of St Peter and St Paul - the oldest building in the town - has a later medieval tower and chancel, with a Georgian nave built around 1777: it is located just off the market Plain and has colourful twentieth-century stained glass and some woodwork carved by the Mouseman of Kilburn.

 

The inaugural meeting of the Stokesley Agricultural Society was held at the Golden Lion Hotel, now Chapters Hotel, in 1859. This boutique hotel was also used as the local law courts for the area being ideally placed between Middlesbrough and Northallerton. Stokesley Agricultural Show, first held in 1859, is held every year on the third Saturday in September. It is one of the largest one day shows in the north of England.

 

There is a weekly market held on a Friday in the main square called the Plain. A farmers' market takes place on the first Saturday of each month.

 

 

A close up of text on a white background

Description automatically generated

 

 

 A sign in a garden

Description automatically generatedA picture containing outdoor, building, tree

Description automatically generatedA sign over a grassy area with trees in the background

Description automatically generatedA sign in front of a tree

Description automatically generatedA close up of a street

Description automatically generated