Richmond

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Historical and geographical information

 

 

 

  

Home Page

The Farndale Directory

Farndale Themes

Farndale History

Particular branches of the family tree

Other Information

General Sir Martin Farndale KCB

Links

 

 The Farndales of Richmond

 

The Richmond Line are the descendants of William Farndale (FAR00531) 1875 to 1948 who was a farmer of Gillingwood Hall.

 

 

8/135 Gillingwood Hall
4.2.69
GV II

Farmhouse. Late C18 - early C19, with reused early C18 doorcase. For the Wharton family. Roughcast rubble, stone slate and C20 pantile roofs. T- shaped plan. 2 storeys, 3:1 bays. Main house, to left: central 6-panel door below 4-pane overlight in ashlar architrave extended upwards around blank panel and with pediment above supported on consoles. Ground-floor sill band. 16-pane sash windows, except centre bay on first floor which is of 8 panes. Ashlar coping. Stone slate roof. End stacks. To right, lower 2- storey bay with 16-pane sash window on ground floor and 12-pane unequally- hung window on first floor, pantile roof with stone slates at eaves. Further to right, C20 single-storey bay not of special interest. To rear right of main house, wing giving M-shaped roof to house.

The name of the farm comes from the mansion of the Wharton family (Old Gillingwood Hall), which burned down in 1750, and part of the site of which is occupied by the farmhouse.

Gilling West is a village about 3.5 miles north of Richmond in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England. It is located in the civil parish of Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury

Gilling was mentioned in the Domesday Book under the name of Ghellinges. Contrary to the now sleepy nature of the village, it was once a place of some importance in the Anglo-Saxon period of British history. In the 7th century it was a seat of the Deira in the southern region of the Anglican kingdom of Northumbria, and from the 9th century, the surrounding area known as Gillingshire was ruled by the Earls of Mercia, specifically Edwin, who was the last of the Earls to have a seat of power at Gilling before the Norman Conquest saw Edwin's lands given to William the Conqueror's kinsman, Alan Rufus.

In April 1976 nine-year-old Garry Fridd found a sword in the beck while playing close to the bridge in Gilling. It turned out to be a double-edged, iron-bladed sword with a silver-decorated handle, dating from the 9th century. It is regarded as being amongst the best Anglian weapons ever to be discovered in England. The restored Gilling sword is in the collection of the Yorkshire Museum in York

The manor house Sedbury Hall is on the edge of the village. Formerly associated with the Darcy, Aske, Conyers and Nevil families, it is now home to the Baker Baker family (formerly of Elemore Hall, Pittington, Co. Durham). The present house was designed by John Carr, and its grounds were laid out in the 18th century by William Sawrey Gilpin.